Basic First aid Rresources
Here is a list of 10 of the best free online first aid resources:
1. American Heart Association
e-Learning: Lots of information on heart
emergencies with basic First Aid, CPR, and AED courses (for a small fee) that can be completed anytime,
anywhere; also has a Pocket First Aid & CPR iPhone application.
2. American Veterinary Medical Association Pet
First Aid: Printable information on how to
deal with small and large pet emergencies from poisoning and seizures to broken bones and
3. CPR Dude: Run by an American Red Cross CPR, AED, and First Aid instructor, this
site offers lots of information presented in a fun, interactive way.
4. FirstAid4All: Comprehensive resource with information on dealing with emergencies
like choking, absence of heartbeat or breathing, poisoning, sunstroke, and electric shock as well as with
accidents like burns, cuts, fractures, dislocations, bruises, bleeding, and foreign objects in the eyes or ears;
also provides a checklist so you can create your own first aid kit to keep handy.
5. First Aid Web: Offers free self-guiding CPR and First Aid courses with regular quizzes
to chart your progress; note in order to receive certification, there is a fee.
6. Health World
Online: Instructions for dealing with many
different kinds of accidents and emergency situations including animal and insect bites, fainting, frostbite,
hyperventilation, seizures, splinters, and more.
7. Kids Health: Great for parents, the First Aid & Safety section covers how to
prevent and respond to emergencies at home, outdoors, and also away from home.
8. Mayo Clinic: Lots of information on how to deal with accidents and emergencies,
including corneal scratches, chemical splashes, head trauma, snake and tick bites, and nosebleeds; also tips on
making your own first aid kit.
9. University of Washington School of
Medicine: Includes instruction on first aid
for choking, standard CPR, hands-only CPR, CPR for children and infants, and CPR for pets; also printable
instructions, videos, fun facts, and even iPhone and Android applications.
10. Waveland Fire
Department: Offers guidance on CPR
procedures and the Heimlich Maneuver for choking victims, including helpful diagrams and
Guest post by Michelle Fabio, About.com Guide to Law School, who also writes about online nursing classes at